Sunday, June 04, 2006

Last Bits of La Ciudad

Well, this is more like a collection of odds and ends. I have a few photos that I would like to post, and found it really hard to think of a common thread for all of them, so this is like a grab bag.


I believe that I have mentioned on more than one post lately about the saliva inducing Mexican pastries and breads. We had breakfast one morning in a pastry shop that also served regular fare. So while we were waiting for our eggs and coffees, we roamed around the shop and picked up a sweet or two. We also found some really tasty churros in another shop that had us looking everywhere for them, whenever we felt the slightest need for a sweet something. I am still dealing with the cravings for them today. I hope they go away soon; not so good for keeping the weight and the bad cholesterol down!


On our trek to the pyramids, the guide stopped at a craft shop (friends of hers who would split the profit from any of our sales, we were convinced!). While there, the part owner of the cooperative showed us the multiple uses of the agave. She conjured a really neat trick with the tip of the agave and constructed a needle and thread with it.

She also had a tray with samples of pulque, almond tequila, and tequila (from right to left). All three liquors were made from the plant, but the almond one had obviously been tinkered with. The pulque had a grassy flavor to it, the almond tequila was sweet and very edible, and the last shot left a residual warm spot in the middle of my sternum. It was very clever of them to offer us the hooch before they sent us in the store to shop. Unfortunately for them, we are cynical and well accustomed to drinking hooch (even on an empty stomach).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home