Monday, September 11, 2006

Hawaiian grafitti



On the last Hawaiian trip I noted that there was not much graffiti in Maui. I thought that it might be due to the low angst or good dope. It is likelier that I just did not get to the places where locals hang out- I only made it to the tourist spots. I did however find some in Waikiki and I include these two examples of public art.

The silver girl (It was difficult to get an angle where she was mostly visible; a slight angle change and parts of her completely disappeared.) and the writing on the pillars were both found on the tower at the top of Diamond Head. The authors were all from foreing countries, and mostly from Korea or Japan. I don't recall any such "defacing" in the public parks or bathroom walls of the various cities that I visited in Japan. I wonder if it is a recent trend (since I was there years ago), I simply did not notice it, or it is an activity that is and mimic, once they arrive on North American soil.


If we had gone into Honolulu and walked around the city, I wager that we would have found a great deal more tagging and public art of a different sort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home