Sunday, July 19, 2009

Tea of the month for July- Khongea Assam

This is the second black tea that I purchased from Granville Island Teas.

Assam is a black tea named after the region of its production: Assam, India. Assam tea is manufactured specifically from the plant Camellia sinensis var. assamica. This tea, most of which is grown at or near sea level, is known for its body, briskness, malty flavor, and strong, bright color. Assam teas, or blends containing Assam, are often sold as "breakfast" teas.

Historically, Assam is the second commercial tea production region after southern China. Before Assam tea revolutionized tea drinking habits in the 19th century, the leaves of the tea plant were chewed by the local villagers with little or no processing. This continues in certain inaccessible regions of southeastern Assam, as well as in neighboring regions of Myanmar. I'm not sure what chewing the leaves did for them- perhaps the caffeine in the leaf can be ingested that way.

I made the tea with boiling water and let it steep for about three minutes. The aroma is quite faint, but the taste is much stronger than the last one. This tea is strong enough to have milk in it and it does not totally choke the flavor, but it is still a light tea. This turned out to be a perfect breakfast tea. It's my favorite tea for now.

There is no photo of this tea. It basically looks like the last dark tea that I brewed, only a little darker. You can use it an a opportunity to take your imagination out for some exercise.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:32 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great description. I have taken to Licorice Spice from Stash Co. Needs no sugar, and caffeine free. I love you blog. I so enjoy hearing about other cultures. I am seeing it through yours. Thanks
QMM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home