Sunday, July 08, 2007

Three Shirt Day

Today the relative humidity was 94%. The forecasters predicted a 100% chance of rain (they were accurate), and so it was a three shirt day. We went out after breakfast to try and walk the People's Park (shirt 1) - but decided to first do the pedestrian mall on Najing road. We walked all the way to the Bund - a walk way on the Pudong River but the humidity and heat were so oppressive, that we were seeking out the shady side of the street, and going into air conditioned stores to pretend to shop, just to get a break; C had a very good attempt at looking interested in a delux set of chopsticks. We eventually took a cab back to the hotel to cool off. I took no photos of this area since it was too hot to enjoy the sights, and I think that I will do each area more thoroughly and will provide both photos and a detailed write up in a future post.

We then went out again to walk from the hotel to a couple of the apartments that we had a look at yesterday and to grab lunch (shirt 2). Once again oppressed by the heat, we retreated back to the hotel for another cool off break. We had made an appointment to meet an agent about an apartment (built circa 1935) in a complex directly across from the hotel- while it was cool, we were not (shirt 3- now damp in spots and wet in others).

For dinner (now sporting a skirt to replace both the pants and the shorts of the earlier part of the day), we met one of C.'s colleagues who has arrived to work on the same project for the next couple of weeks. We walked to a hot pot restaurant where we ate dumplings, tofu, mushrooms and vegetables in two kinds of broths. Each place setting had their own little bowl for a dipping sauce and condiments (green onions, chili peppers, and garlic). This was a slow and a very tasty meal that we will have to repeat again. {trouble loading images- will try again later- please come again!!}

It was my birthday today, so I bought a flower. Fresh flowers are plentiful and inexpensive. MMMMmmm.... might have to have a fresh flower budget and vases for the future apartment. No birthday ice cream was ingested today, so I get to carry this over for another day ( I allow myself ice cream roughly once per year- however I make the rules, so I can change them if I want to).

9 Comments:

At 4:34 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Colette:

Happy Birthday!!

Sorry I didn't call before you left, I will make an excuse about being so busy that day, but I should have found the time. Glad to hear you are enjoying the time there so far. Hope you find an appartment that will suit you soon. I have started another part time job at the hospital so I am keeping busy. Starting some painting in the house as well. Let me know your phone number as soon as you get one. I went to see your Mom and Dad today and gave her a big hug. I will stop in again on them soon. Loads of love, Chuck.
PS say hi to Corey for me as well.

 
At 4:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Stranger!!!

Wow, I haven't checked out your page in a very long time, but seeings it is your birthday this is the only connection we have... hmmm am I making you feel a little guilty... JK... Anyway, just wanted to stop in to wish you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I miss chatting with you and hopefully someday you will be in my neighborhood so we can get together and catch up... Take care!! Love from your very far away friend, Tamara

 
At 7:28 a.m., Blogger Rob Swizzle said...

Happy Birthday, Colette! Go ahead and rock that ice cream.

We had hail in Kincardine today, and later swam in Lake Huron which was still pretty darn cold. New tourist slgan for Canada: "Barely Tolerable."

 
At 7:32 a.m., Blogger Rob Swizzle said...

Happy Birthday Miss Colette! A parade of aging hipsters has been spotted marching through Kincardine during Scottish Festival wearing sombreros, Hawaiian shirts, and practical shoes. Must be another party weekend for Swizzle! We've cleaned up after the guests and will settle down for some wonton soup and Dr. Who. Bagpipe greetings for your birthday!!
Christine

 
At 1:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Colette!

 
At 1:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

does ice cream taste different over there? same kind of flavours? hmmmm...
do they have sluppies?

i will enjoy people watching through your photos.

ama' sqit,

 
At 1:35 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooops, happy twenty something.
happy birthday colette, wishing you the best.
ama' sqit,

 
At 10:01 p.m., Blogger Kay said...

Happy Birthday Colette!!

Sounds like you are doing well over there. The hot pot place sounds yummy! I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Will send you a email when I finally have an updated post on my blog...hopefully something from Nunavut!

Anyway, must run. Have fun exploring!

Kay

 
At 9:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Really enjoy reading your blogs, so nice to be able to keep up with what you are doing. Go have that ice cream soon and enjoy every last drop of it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home