Q is for Qipao
Born in Shanghai, the qipao is today a popular formal dress with Chinese and Western women. A symbol or oriental femininity, the qipao (pronounced = cheepow) usually has a high neck, no sleeves, high slits up the sides and a snug fit. The fabric is often a heavy silk, but it can be found in lighter silk weights as well as cotton. The dress is either cut at the knee, or down to the floor.
The original qipao was a very modest garment introduced by the Manchus and popular in the Qing (pronounced= ching) Dynasty (1644-1911). The word literally means banner people quilt. The Manchus are the banner people and the quilt symbolizes the long straight gown, which was distinct from the traditional Han clothing. Indeed, the original qipao were more like a cheongsam: a loose fitting garment htat reached the floor. In the early twentieth century, it was tailored and and transformed into what we think of the quintessential Chinese dress. It was especially popular in trend setting Shanghai where the women were famous for their chic fashion style. It reached it's height in popularity in the 1930's and 1940's. It was seen as decadent in the Cultural Revolution, and so it was not until the 1980's that women began to wear it again.
Qipao sometimes are embroidered with peonies to represent prosperity, while those with an embroidered lotus represent beauty and purity. Chinese dragons and phoenix are embroidered on bridal qipao to represent success, prosperity and strong relationship, and thus a happy marriage.
The entire person has to be considered when wearing a qipao. The hairstyle, jewelry and shoes must be considered. Everything should complement the gown. In the 1930's, curled hair was the most popular hairstyle for the dress. I could not find what sort of shoe was appropriate, but I imagine that a matching color pump would do just fine. These dresses emphasize the legs, and so naturally, a lift from the shoe would be best.
I own five qipao: I bought a long black, silk light weight one at the Aardvark second hand store in Pasadena. I have two short cotton blue nankeen fabric dresses purchased at Tong Li water town, and one short dress in silk brocade (in a difficult to describe shade of pink) made for me by tailors at the fabric market in town, and bought by my SIL. And I bought one more at a store on Fuxing Road- it is a beautiful white with blue details and piping. I find them flattering yet comfortable.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home