Tuesday, December 08, 2009

K* is for Kumquat....

Mojitos!! I first encountered these almost two years ago when friend of mine were in town, and we were religiously following a suggested list of the best cocktails in Shanghai. Muddled with coriander, lime juice and star anise, this concoction made by the bar tenders at the Glamour Bar were the best mojitos that I have ever had.**

This town is actually quite famous for its cocktails. There are a large number of bars that compete with each other for the title of the best cocktail around. The local monthly English magazines usually feature at least one drink per month and the bar where it can be found. They are not cheap, but are tasty and a very nice change from the Tsing Tao beer and imported wine.

On the subject of kumquats, since I have never been in Shanghai in December, I thought that they arrived on the fruit market some time in January. Imagine my pleasure at their early appearance. I will be looking for new recipes to make, as well as buying a load to make my usual batch of jam!


* Late again… it will take me more than a year to get this alphabet- unless of course I decide to post when I please and not take notice of my rule of posting on the first and fifteenth of every month!?

** a close second for a delicious drink was the Fez. Carefully constructed from cumin infused Havana Club rum, apple juice, passion fruit puree, French absinthe, lime juice and simple sugar solution- and lovingly presented by the staff at JG. Yum….

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home