Tuesday, August 18, 2009

H is also for Hello Kitty


Although not really indicative of Chinese culture, since it is a creation of the Japanese mind (and was popular over twenty years ago when I was there), it does find its way into Chinese every day life. It is pretty hard to go a day without seeing Hello Kitty somewhere. There are Hello Kitty alarm clocks, t-shirts, pants (!), shoes, make- up (thank you MAC), umbrellas, toasters and fans. This cat has infected girls from age 1 to 50 plus. There is even a Hello Kitty store- where you can buy nearly everything you can think of with the logo on it- on Huai Hai road near the apartment. And... if you can't find it there, you can always hop on the plane and head over to Tokyo (only two hours from here) and get it there.

I own a watch, a telephone doodad and an apron, and would own a whole lot more of Miss Kitty if I could (without being the subject of too much ridicule).

Here's to Kitty for a long lasting marketing success.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home