Yoghurt in China
One of the big surprises for me when I finally went into a grocery store last year, was how much dairy products there are here. While there is virtually no cheese, except the imported stuff, there is a ton of yoghurt. It comes in small plastic containers, larger tubs, tubes, small pouches and one liter cardboard milk containers. And in Beijing, they come in yet one more format.
On my previous two trips to the city, I noticed these little clay pots with paper tops held in place by elastic bands. I asked what it was and was told it was yoghurt. I immediately wanted to try it, but could not. Because these are sold in re-useable containers, you have to drink it where you bought it. It was on my list to try it, so at the first opportunity (while we were wandering up the food street on our way to Tian'an men Square), I paid the few RMB's for it and slurped it down. It was only a bit cool temperature wise, but was sweet with that tang that you find in fresh plain yogurt. I lack the skills to be able to ask where it is made, and I regret that we cannot buy it here in Shanghai. But while I was there, I enjoyed it.
(Hand, part torso are brought to you by JH)
Labels: drink
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home