Chinese Traditional Paper Cutting
A newspaper article in the Shanghai Daily of last year (July 21/22 2007)introduced me to the art of paper cutting. It is a really old tradition that is newer to Shanghai (it not really being a center for a lot of really old and venerated cultural traditions). This piqued my interest, and I began to see examples of paper cuts all over town. I then vowed to find out a bit more about it, and to begin to collect a few pieces.
It all begins of course with the material. I'm not sure when China made its first pieces of paper, but whatever the date, in the Han dynasty, even though it was a precious commodity, the manufacture had to be sufficient enough to supply for artistic uses (especially if a good portion of it was left to waste on the floor). Most of the people with access to paper for entertainment were usually those with superfluous wealth. The oldest surviving paper cut out is a symmetrical circle from the 6th century found in Xinjiang, China. From the 7th to 13th century, paper cutting became popular especially during Chinese holiday festivals. Throughout the Qing Dynasty many paper cutting skills were developed.
In the rural countryside in mainland China, paper cutting is a traditionally female activity. In the past, every girl was expected to master it and brides were often judged by their skill. Professional paper cutting artists are, on the other hand, usually male and have guaranteed incomes and work together in workshops. Paper cutting is done with scissors, but artists also use engraving knives. The majority of the work is done in red, but black is very popular. Most often, the paper is cut into symbols representing wealth, happiness and used for occasions such as weddings. More recently, I think, the paper cuts are seen more as art and therefore have a wider range of subjects.
The Shanghai style of paper cutting is called Hua Yang Jing. It is recognized as distinct from other areas and is one of the 14 intangible Cultural Heritages of the Yangpu District. The art was introduced to the city from Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) but the handicraft has been gradually fading away "since the emancipation of China" (their words not mine- but what an interesting phrase when used to discuss art and not politics or war). Apparently the cutters sang folk songs while cutting. The folk songs were improvised and expressed the image of the paper, as well as imbued the work with good wishes and good will.
It's extremely fragile looking and can resemble very fine lace. This is probably part of what I find attractive. I bought a very small collection of unframed paper cuts in Xi'an with many of the traditional images. I bought my second paper cut from the daughter of the cutter, in a small booth in Hangzhou. My most recent acquisition is a narrow but long paper cut in black of a rendition of daily life in a Beijing Hutong. This I purchased in a small street shop in Beijing. I spoke with a student who was nineteen and had been cutting since he was 8 or 9; his work was incredibly cheap, but lacked the finesse and the subject matter was still relatively simple. In the end, I bought the work of the teacher. I have no regrets.
The photos included are segments of the Beijing hutong papercut.
Labels: cultural
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home