Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Sidewalk Life- additions

I did say that I might write more about what happens on the sidewalk here once I had wandered around, observed some more and thought about it. So here are two more entries. Sidewalks in Shanghai are for:

1. Washing cars- remember that I said that you could park your car on the sidewalk? Well it turns out that you can also wash it while it sits there. Who washes the car is unclear to me. I doubt that if you have the privilege to park your car on the sidewalk (after all there are parking lots and street parking), that you would hardly be cleaning it too. I am going to guess that the "washers" are the hired drivers that come with the cars. And here is a note for all you North American car washers, here cleaning the outside of your car is done with a rag and a small basin with water (no soap). No gallons/liters of water were wasted shining these vehicles.

2. Begging: I understand from our local Shanghai source, and from some newspaper articles that the social welfare system in this city, and perhaps in the entire country is falling apart. This means that some people who should be hospitalized, or taken care of by the state (old age pension, social assistance allowance) are left to their own devices. I have seen many aged, and infirm people on the street requesting money from pedestrians both local and foreign. One man in particular is hard to walk by; he is missing most of his arms and legs and just sits there with a bag in front of him. Newspaper articles state that many hospitals have purchased very expensive equipment so that they can charge patients extra for these diagnostic tools, instead of the more common and useful equipment for day to day needs. Where is the state in all of this? They certainly are not providing the level of care that I expected.

These continue to be observances that occurr in the middle of the day. Who knows what I would see in the early morning or late evening?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home