Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Signs of Spring in the Southwest


While rediscovering my backyard, I happened to notice two new things with the cacti. The small cactus on the side of the house, who showed up on his own a couple of years ago, has decided to pop out some new shoots. I'm amazed by the quantity of them this year; I would guess that the water he gets from us must help with the growth. I hope that it contines to find enough soil between the rocks and the black plastic. Note that the new shoots are really soft- the same cannot be said for the wicked spikes that eventually grow on them.

A year ago, a friend of mine left Phoenix for the colder climate that she decided she liked better than the blistering heat of the southwest. She graciously left me about 4 cacti in pots. This is the perfect place to grow them; we left them in the pots and put them outside on the back deck. They are not growing too much in height , but are reproducing from the base. This year, it even looks as though one of them might bloom. So here is what it looks like in the early stages. I hope to be home in time to see the flower come out. Thanks for the cacti, Betsy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home