Saturday, January 14, 2006

Movies

I watched a thought provoking movie the other night. Thanks to Netflix, we are able to watch almost any movie that our little hearts desire. I ordered and watched Deepa Mehta's Earth first, knowing full well that it is the middle film of a trilogy of work that she has done (the others are Fire, and Water -in that order).

Earth is a look at the Indian partition in 1947 from the perspective of a child. I am sure that Ms. Mehta intends to depict the nature of humans and the role of religion. After viewing the film ( and not willing to give it away to you in case you have not seen it), clearly the partition of India was due to religion, but I am not so sure if she is looking at religion or at love as the motive for the events that ensue in the story. I reserve the possibility to change or add to my comments after I have seen the other two movies, which I think will form a context. The gentle introduction to the historical issues, and the haunting ending make the movie worth watching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home