Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chinese Grammar- Verbs

At the risk of looking like I am obsessing with verbs (but you know and I know that they are the engines of the sentences and when you learn enough of these, you can really communicate), I have yet another entry for Chinese grammar about verbs.

In Mandarin, you can repeat the verb twice, one right after another in the same sentence, and it means a diminutive version of the action, or a more polite way of saying the sentence.

For example: Qing kan kan.(Please have a little look)
Qing chang chang. (Please try a little)
Qing deng deng. (Please wait a little)

While walking around Shanghai, you can often hear the first sentence from the shop owners or bag sellers, who want you to come and have a look at their wares. I think that this is an thrifty use of words. Allows you to be polite as a foreigner without having to learn other words or grammar patterns.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 12:29 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, but I'm not sure why you are trying to be polite. You know, when in Rome....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home