Friday, March 14, 2008

Shanghai Literaty Festival- Fatima Bhutto

The last author that I was able to see at the Shanghai Literary Festival was Fatima Bhutto. I was lured to the talk because of her last name. I thought that it might be my only opportunity ever to hear her speak. I had no prior knowledge of her life, her work, just her family name.

Born 1982, she published first book when she was fifteen; it is a poetry book that was written shortly after her father's murder/assassination. Her second, and more recent publication, is about the earthquake in Kashmir. She is currently a journalist for the Pakistan News International and some of her columns have appeared in the Los Angeles Times. She writes about the social issues and injustices in Pakistan and is in fact a very big critic of the Pakistani government. She is an incredibly beautiful and articulate woman who did not mince her words. There were many questions about Pakistan and Afghan relationships (her mother was Afghani, I learned later), the rise of Islamic fundamentalism, and the real state of things in Pakistan.

On a personal note, I went to the session because the Bhutto name lured me there. It was ironic to discover that she was not a supporter of her aunt and believes that political dynasties are not helpful to Pakistan. It is even further ironical, because after the scant two hours that I listened to her, and through some further reading, I think that she would be a very good candidate for political power in that country. However, it is likelier that she will have more freedom and opportunity to make changes by not being in power. She is currently championing her country people who have "been disappeared" (her words)and has managed with the aid of many to find a few and reunite them with their family. It was a real insight to the problems in Pakistan (no universal health care, only one hospital in one city for 3 million people, government that is not present in the rural areas, corruption, fundamentalist funding of schools in rural areas- which is creating support for them). Coincidentally, there is an article in this month's Vogue ( who knew that fashion magazines had serious articles about politics and such?) about Benazir Bhutto and the family. Now, I am truly curious to read more.

I am also waiting for the third reference to Bhutto- they always happen in threes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home