Collection of Cushions- Part 1
On my latest jaunt to new places in China, we managed to go to a temple or two (or maybe three- I've lost count). My new favorite thing at temples is the cushions that cover the "kneelers" usually near the statues of Buddha and his followers at the front of the inside of the temple. The actual kneelers look to be made of wood with a leather covering, and might have a bit of stuffing in them. During my short visits to temples, I've noted that the supplicants don't often stay more than a few moments on these pieces of furniture while they offer their prayers and their incense. Regardless of their brief pause, it seems as though someone is concerned with their comfort. Perhaps comfort is not the issue; they do get a large volume of people streaming through, and I imagine that replacing a cloth cushion is easier and cheaper than replacing leather.
They usually are some of the most colorful things in the temple- with the exception of the gold Buddha, when there is one, he usually trumps all the attention then. Given my magpie tendencies, combined with my interest in fabric art, I simply cannot miss them. Because they are in temples, I often cannot take photographs of them. This time, our tour guide was kind enough to ensure that I had permission to take photos. I know that the restrictions are directed at the icons and other religious items, artistically it is a real shame, since there are some truly lovely images to be found in these sacred places. While I appreciated the permission, and I hardly know what he said, but the attendants always looked at me with the same puzzled curiosity. Oh what I would give to have the ability to tell them that while I appreciated the excellent example of the sacred that their temples contained, I am much more fascinated by the ordinary, and that the multi colored cushions really had my attention.
I have posted some temple cushion examples before under a quilted heading. While they were not really quilted, they were definitely made of little bits of fabric, just like quilts. This batch that I offer for your perusal are embroidered cushions- some are "plain" embroidery and others are fabric tacked on with embroidery. You will note that the lotus motif is common to many of them. The lotus is frequently used in Buddhist imagery to represent purity, and symbolize detachments as well as creation and cosmic renewal. All these are thought to be the reflection of the actual flower.
I have some wildly colorful examples of the pieced cushions that I will include for you sometime soon (when my camera relinquishes the images).
Labels: cultural
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home